Economic, environmental and social study
- Sectors undergoing an economic crisis in Vicenza: agriculture, construction, textiles;
- Increasingly higher waste management costs for municipalities and businesses;
- Mining and quarrying of virgin mineral materials (stone, clay, gravel, etc.);
- Intensive agricultural activities, contributing to air and water pollution;
- Loss of biodiversity in the flora and fauna due to ongoing urbanization (too many vacant or unsold buildings);
- Disturbance of remaining flora and fauna due to urbanization;
- Increased unemployment and loss of craftsmanship;
- Low wages for lower segments of society: families and the elderly;
- Excessive rental prices and lack of social structures.
IDEA FOR VICENZA
- Transform the outputs of some businesses into inputs for others, creating products from waste materials rather than from virgin resources;
- Create job opportunities within the territory;
- Promote the recovery of buildings using selective demolition and recycled materials;
- Provide value to agriculture by producing building materials from natural and biodegradable agricultural waste fibres (creating added value);
- Replace toxic inputs with biodegradable inputs that can be recovered and disposed of, thereby eliminating the cost of managing and disposing of toxic waste;
- Promote awareness for sustainability within communities;
- Leave space for the local flora and fauna, since each territory possesses its own special and unique characteristics to be protected.
The study takes as its starting point the waste outputs provided by the city of Vicenza: abandoned real estate, abandoned industrial sites, pre and post consumption materials*, agricultural waste fibres, waste products from the textile industry.
The aim of the project is to recover a typical rural residence in the province of Vicenza. The old part is redeveloped at both a structural and energy level to pass from a G energy class (175 kWh/m2a) to a building that respects the requirements of a passive house (15 kWh/m2a).
The project aims to maintain unaltered the cultural value of a typical rural house situated in the Venetian countryside, associating the innovation of a “Recycled House”. All materials will be recovered from the demolition of buildings which are deemed no longer safe or recoverable, as well as from pre and post consumption recycled materials*.
All materials must respect requirements for quality, acoustic and energy standards, and derive from local business sites in the territory of Vicenza.
*pre-consumption= waste materials from production processes..
post- consumption = waste materials from residential areas or commercial, industrial and public services spaces, who become end users of the product.